Wednesday, April 4, 2018

Shae is learning...

So Shae got his cone off on Sunday.  Yay!   We have been working on getting him to come to me when called using the word TREAT!  He is up to about 75% of the time that he will come up for a treat.  Sometimes he still chickens out actually getting the treat; but more often than not; he stays for the treat.  I do think Sasha helps him be brave.  This is defiantly a dog that will do well with a fur sibling to not only play with but look towards for security and guidance. 

I have been keeping a long lead on him - he doesn't seem to mind it.  I have been using it for practicing walking in the back yard.  He is very nervous out in the world so I thought practicing in the back yard would be a place to start.  I also started walking him to my mailbox this week and am happy to report that on Wed - the third day; his tail was wagging as we went outside.  My mailbox isn't far;; maybe 1/3 of a block away; but it's across the treat.   He is no longer flinging himself down on the ground refusing to move every few steps and seems to know the routine now (and likes the treats).  I am happy to see him moving forward in that direction!     Next week we may try a walk during lunchtime with Sasha to see how he does.   It's tiring being brave!

 I just like this picture I caught of him on my security camera while I was inside working.  Him in his cone just sitting alone... awwww... but it's a cute photo!
We still have a few things to work on but I am so pleased how quickly he was able to get braver on our walks.  Baby Steps. 

No comments:

Post a Comment